Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hot Cocoa with Marshmallows


Over New Years weekend I decided it was time to try something that I had wanted to do for awhile: make marshmallows!  I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen because in all of the recipes I have tried by her, she has never steered me wrong, and this recipe was no exception.  It ended up being a two day process (due to making them late in the day during a cooking extravaganza that left me without any energy to cut them into squares), but the whole process was very easy and left me with lots of springy little squares of deliciousness.  So many in fact that I have frozen the majority of them to pull out for hot chocolate throughout the rest of the winter....we'll see how that little experiment goes... 


With so many marshmallows around, it only made sense to have a hot cocoa tasting.  I have always wanted to love homemade hot chocolate, but it has always left me feeling a little disappointed, its so thin and lacking the creamy texture that I was always looking for, so I scoured the internet and narrowed it down to two recipes that seemed promising.  One called for condensed milk and the other for half and half.

Those that know me know that I usually have an opinion on everything, so I assumed that I would have one on hot cocoa as well, as it turns out, I dont....and my husband doesn't either....huh...didn't see that coming.  the recipes tasted different, but both were very good, neither significantly better than the other.  So I guess, now we have two great recipes to choose from when we get a hankering for hot chocolate....not a bad problem to have if you ask me...



No comments:

Post a Comment