Monday, August 25, 2014

Beautiful Things for Boys: Triangle Quilt


I made this quilt for my son in the few months before he was born.  Honestly, the hardest part for me was making a final decision on which fabrics to use.  I ended up making it with solids, mostly in neutral colors--blues, grays, whites, browns, tans.  I cut each fat quarter into 5" squares and then cut them diagonally.  I randomly arranged them and rearranged them until I felt happy with the placement (I find it super helpful to take pictures of my quilts before I sew them together, for whatever reason the camera always reveals more than my bare eye does and I usually make changes that I like so much better!).

I sewed them together with a quarter inch seam, used cotton batting, and backed and bound it with Kona Cotton in Charcoal.  I chose to quilt it with straight lines a quarter inch away from each seam, making a grid pattern.  I also embroidered a little message to my sweet boy.  I love, love, love how this turned out.  As much as I love fun prints, there is something so soothing and beautiful about a quilt made in solids.  I hope my sweet boy will love it just as much as I do someday!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! What a sweet heirloom. I wish I had quilting skills like yours.

    ReplyDelete