Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tortellini-Pesto Soup


(these are not the most appetizing pictures, but it was after dark and I was starving, so this is what I ended up with...)

This soup is one of our winter favorites, so simple and easy, yet so good. It was perfect to have simmering on the stove yesterday during our latest big snowstorm.  I found it in a cookbook in the play kitchen at the preschool I worked at during summers off from college of all places and has been on our favorites menu ever since.

Tortellini-Pesto Soup
1 Onion
Garlic
(I usually use 4 cloves to a head, depending on the size of the head...but we love garlic, so if you don't you might want to cut this down)
Butter
10 cups of chicken stock
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery
2 heads of broccoli
1 package of frozen tortellini
1/4-1/2 c. pesto
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and garlic in melted butter.  Once soft, add celery, carrots, broccoli, and stock.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low.  Allow vegetables to cook through, then add tortellini.  Once tortellini is cooked, add pesto and then salt and pepper to taste.

We like to shave a little cheddar cheese on top.


**This week I've been on the hunt for crock pot recipes, trying to branch out a bit, as right now I'm only using it to make a pork loin with (baked? steamed?) potatoes.  If you have any that you like I'd love to hear them! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment