Thursday, December 8, 2011

Darkness and Light


I haven't been handling all the darkness as gracefully as I would like this year.  I'm leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark.  I feel like I'm missing out on so much living.

This week especially feeling bogged down by endless to-do lists at work and home, migraines, and everything that seems to be breaking and needing money to be fixed (dishwasher, car, cat), I was teetering on the edge of a breakdown.

So tonight I went out in the yard, on the edge of the river bank and sat.  Just sat.  I practiced listening to all of the sounds of the river, first upstream, then downstream, the water swirling around the big rock, the high pitched chuckle and the deep, soothing swoosh.   I looked at the bark on the old sugar maple next to me.  I watched the moon rise over the hill.  I took deep breaths of the cool, damp air.  And with that everything felt just a bit more manageable. 

Tonight I'm going to finish the Christmas cards and plant those narcissus I've been meaning to plant for a week now...and tomorrow who knows...I'll worry about that when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment